Sunday, June 5, 2011

the most important days for Chinese students. and Chinese students' studying life

BACKGROUND:
     In China, the certificate of good university is the almost only way for a normal student to find a good job with good salary. and the score of the national exam will determine which university that the student will study in, the score is higher, the university is obviously better. In China normally taking the national exam is the only way to get high level education in university. According to the social situation, many people think the score of national exam almost determine at least the next ten year of your life.
     This year, the date of the national exam is June 7 and June 8. In June7, in the morning the student will spend 150 minutes on Chinese exam, and in the afternoon the students will spend 120 minutes on math exam; in June 8, in the morning the students will spend 150 minutes on science or social science exam, and in the afternoon the students will spend 120 minutes on English exam.
     In my opinion, Chinese students are the most stressful students in the world. When I was 6 in Grade one in elementary school I started learning English 2hours in each Saturday, i also studied how to write composition      2 hours each Saturday, and I spent 4 hours on drawing each week in the night. I like drawing so i choosed extra drawing class as my hobby. but i really didn't like composition and  i hated English at all ether , i thought they are useless, and they are just take off my playing time. But for me it is just a start. When I was in Grade Three, I gave up drawing, and I spent another 2 hours on maths that are very difficult maths, some of which are taught in the high school and almost half of which are taught in the middle school. In the middle school, I was not only still studying difficult maths and boring English, but also physics in Grad 2 and chemistry in Grad 3, and I will spend 2 hours on each class in the weekend except the lots of homework. In the high school, I still studied the Maths English physics chemistry in weekend until i  know i will come to America. I‘m just the normal one of all the Chinese student; many Chinese students like me in the two days weekend, we spend one day on homework and another day on extra class. Fortunately, i am a naughty boy, i like playing with my friends, so sometimes I didn't do homework in long weekend or holiday. That's why my teachers often asked my mother to go school talking about my attitude to the homework, when i was in primary school. but I did't care about it at all because even i didn't do homework, i am still the top student.
    Until now. maybe you have a question why we took the extra class in the weekend. Because, Chinese education is so short for the large population. For example, according to the local newspaper, "the year when i went to high school, there are 83 thousand students graduated from middle school, and only 40 thousand students of them have a chance to study in the high school." . So when I go to the elementary school, my mother wanted me to go the best middle school to get the best education with best classmates and best teachers, because if i can study in the best middle school, i can have more chance to study in the best high school. As the same reason, when i was in the middle school, my mother wants me to study in the best high school to get the best education with best teachers and classmates. Because if we study in the best high school we have more chance to study in the best university. All the students want to study in the best school. so in order to go to the best school,  i have to take extra classes that will make sure i get can the highest score in the final exam that determines which school i will study in. That's why Chinese students are the most stressful. Fortunately, from elementary school to the high school, I always study in the best class in the best school with best teachers and best classmates in my city, and now i am so lucky to study in the America, which has the best education system in the world.
    So the next two days have been the most most important days for the Chinese students in their life, since the  score of the national exam will determine which university they will study in. the purpose of all the Chinese students spend 12 stressful years on studying is to go to a good university to get good education and learn some real abilities.
     Last night i spent 5 hours on calling many of my friends to say good luck for them.
     I hope all my friends can get a good score and go to their dreaming University.

     It's true that i get a lot of benefits from the stressful learning years.Compared with American student i know too much more about maths, physics, chemistry, biology, but also lost too much things. i hope maybe in the future, the Chinese education system will be changed better, the students don't need to be too stressful, and they can have more time with their family, and their friends. they can spend more time on their interest. they can spend the whole day on play games or on the beach or on the grass in the weekend. they have more time enjoying their life, love, family. they can have more time to know about the society. they can have more time to help the needy people. they can have more chance to do some crazy things. they can have more chance to talk with their friends about  "hey guns, how about climbing this weekend." Each time When i think about it i feel a little bit sad and sorry.
      I believe it will be changed. now only I can do is to say " good luck ,my dear friends."

2 comments:

  1. Hello Yu Jie.

    You wrote amazing article. You impressed me a lot with you story about the difficulties that you had while you was a student. It was really very hard time for you. I understand you why when you was a teenager at school, you did not want to study and prefered to play with children. However, you worked very hard, you received high test scores and then you was in one of the best Chinese high schools. Congratulations. It is great.

    Also, I think Chinese children have to study very much if they want ot get a good education and diploma, and then to have a great and easy chance to study in university. The competition between the children is big, because your country has amazingly lagre population. Therefore, each student has to prepare himself perfectly for this national test if he wants his parents to be proud of him. You took that great difficult test and already graduated, now I am sure your parents are very proud of you.

    I want to tell you that in Bulgaria we have similar test. When you are 13 years old you have to take three special tests if you want to study in good high school and in good major. The first big test about Bulgarian language. There are grammar question, then you have to write an essay in bulgarion. After two days is coming the second big test, mathematic. You have to solve many math questions, and believe me this test is not so easy. The third test you is your choose. If you want to be a doctor, and want to study medicine in a university, so your thisrd test will be biology. After that you will study a lot of biology, chemistry and you will prepare yourself for the university entrance exams.

    I also like you studied very hard in high school and like you I know many thing from biology, math, physical, geography, and other school subject comparing with some other students.

    Yu Jie, I wish you good luck. Study hard English language ,take TOEFEL test with good scores and I wish you to study in very good US university.

    ReplyDelete